Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Peanut butter saved your ass, curry!

Originally posted on Jan. 11, 2006:

Last night I purchased a jar of red curry sauce from a local grocer. I should mention that Hong Kong isn't noted for good curry, as this was a local brand of curry sauce. Being the finicky "gourmet" that I oft try to be, I scrutinized the ingredients carefully: turmeric, salt, chili, onion, star aniseed, cassia. Okay. Sounded good so far. Not exactly your typical red curry sauce, but seemed like a good combination.

However, what sold me was the last ingredient, and I kid you not: antioxidants. Well, who could ask for more? Not only would I flavor my soup base, I'd be making my dishes healthier than they would be without sauce.

Needless to say, upon returning home, I felt like wretching after actually opening the jar and taking a whiff of the curry. How can I describe it... fetid. And I didn't even know the meaning of this word until I stuck my nose within smelling distance of this stuff.

Let it not be said that I don't try things even once. So I did. Let's just say I thought I had just wasted a bowl of perfectly good noodles. For no known reason, I decided to throw in a heaping spoonful of peanut butter, and guess what? Miraculously, the taste improved 300%! The noodles were actually bordering on downright delicious! In fact, I was reminded of West African food, which often uses peanuts in it's dishes.

So, to you, jar of stank-nasty red curry, you've been spared being pitched. You have Skippy (the good stuff is hard to come by here in Hong Kong) to thank for that. Cuz' he saved your ass.

No comments: